Hi everyone Everywhere,
Many of us in many countries will be confined to our homes this Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
In our town there is a group called The Filling Station, who normally meet to worship once a month, but like all of us, have had to find other ways to worship together in these strange times. They have just sent me a suggestion for a “Indoor Walk of Witness” as a liturgy of prayer around our homes. The suggestion is we should all do this on Good Friday, but it is a wonderful form of prayer for any locked in day.
Here it is:
THE GOOD FRIDAY WALK OF WITNESS
Usually on Good Friday we join with others to walk behind a cross through the streets of Farnham. This year we can’t walk outside, but we can still walk inside our homes – to remind ourselves and any with whom we live of the hope we have in Christ.
Here are some suggested prayers to say around your home. At the end you are invited to place a cross in your window. It can be a picture of a cross, you can draw it or it could be a solid cross made of wood or anything you may have at home.
Let us be still
Lord, today we remember that you died on the cross.
You endured pain to show that love triumphs and that resurrection life is waiting around the corner for all of us.
Today as we stay indoors we invite you afresh into our homes and lives.
Bless all who live here and help us know your light, your peace and your love.
Let’s move through our homes and pause to pray at different places….
AT THE FRONT DOOR
- Lord, please bless all who come and go through this door.
- Protect us when we leave and may we find your welcome on our return.
- We look forward to the time when we can welcome others into our home again.
IN THE LIVING ROOM
- Please bless all who share this room.
- May this be a place of harmony and laughter and relaxation.
- Bless how we connect with one another – whether face to face, on the phone or through the internet.
- May there be peace here in times of solitude.
WHERE WE WORK
- Please bless the work that we do in this place.
- Please bless our creativity, our study and our play.
- May whatever we do bring blessing to others, fulfilment to ourselves and
honour to you.
IN THE KITCHEN
- Thank you for your provision.
- Help us to trust you for our needs and to respect the needs of others.
- Please bless the hands that prepare our meals. May they be prepared with love and received with thanks.
WHERE WE EAT
- Thank you that you welcome us to your table.
- May we welcome you at ours
- May you satisfy our deepest hunger.
- Help us to be generous to those around us both inside and outside our home.
WHERE WE SLEEP
- Thank you for our shelter.
- Please grant us deep rest as we sleep.
- Please be present in our dreams
- May we awake with eagerness.
WHERE ANY CHILDREN SLEEP
- Thank you that Jesus said: ‘Let the little children come to me’
- Please keep our children in your love, protect them from danger and bring them safely into each new day.
IN THE BATHROOM
- You have told us that if we confess our sins, you forgive us and cleanse us from everything we’ve done wrong.
- Today of all days we remember that you made this possible by dying on the cross.
- So we say sorry for the wrong things we have done.
- We receive your forgiveness.
- Thank you for washing us clean.
AT A WINDOW
- Let us go now to a place a cross in a window
THE LORD’S PRAYER
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever.
We dedicate this house to you and we say: ‘But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.’
May the peace of Christ rest upon this house and all who live here
Download a pdf version here: Indoor Walk of Witness – Farnham (1)